Home | News | Local | Bronx Man Dies Looking In Apartment Fire

Bronx Man Dies Looking In Apartment Fire

Font size: Decrease font Enlarge font

A Bronx stepdad died in an apartment fire earlier today as he tried to look for his stepdaughter, who it turned out wasn't home. Police say that Tyril Royer, 65, became trapped in the third floor apartment on East 234th Street just after 12:50 a.m.

He had stayed in the apartment to save his stepdaughter.

James said she left the apartment just before the blaze broke out. The fire was blocking the apartment door, but Royer's wife, Claudette Royer, was able to climb out the fire escape. It took fire crews just over thirty minutes to get the blaze under control. Royer was taken to Our Lady of Mercy Hospital, where he was pronounced dead on arrival. His wife and one firefighter were also treated for minor injuries.

The building's super, Vincent Maldonado, described the family as pack rats and said their apartment was filled with bags. He said they'd been warned in the past the debris was a fire hazard. Fire marshals are investigating whether overloaded extension cords may have started the blaze.

 

Subscribe to comments feed Comments (0 posted):

Post your comment comment

Please enter the code you see in the image:

  • email E-Mail to a friend
  • print Print version
  • Plain text Plain text
Rate this article
0
Tags
No tags for this article
Featured Author
image

Arthur Burton

Arthur L Burton III was educated at Monroe University, Bronx, majoring in Computer Programming. He graduated from the Chubb Institute with concentration Network Engineering, NY. Arthur is a Certified NYSEMT and has volunteered as an EMT for the Throggs Neck Ambulance Corp in Bronx, NY. Arthur works as a Freelance writer and Ghostwriter. He is currently an Active Board Member for the Greater Zion Hill Community Action Network, New York City, NY.