United Federation Of Teachers' Bronx Parent Newsletter
Dear parents, grandparents and education activists,
We want to thank the parents, grandparents and education activists who contacted their senators and spoke out on social media to register their opposition to Betsy DeVos, President Trump's nominee for education secretary. Two Republican senators — Susan Collins of Maine and Lisa Murkowski of Alaska — announced today that they would not support DeVos' nomination when it comes to a full vote before the Senate. Just one more Republican senator is needed to halt DeVos' confirmation. Senators Collins and Murkowski both noted that their decisions were influenced by the thousands of phone calls they received from constituents. Help put pressure on Republican senators who may be on the fence here.
DeVos has spent her life and vast fortune trying to turn public education into a private marketplace. If she becomes U.S. education secretary, students with disabilities will suffer the most. Watch and share this short video about why DeVos is a danger to special education.
Check out the upcoming events and news you can use below.
UFT Parent-Community Liaison
- Saturday, February 4, 2017: The Westchester Square Library invites young readers to a Harry Potter book night event focused on the professors of Hogwarts, from 2:30 to 4 p.m. The library is located at 2521 Glebe Avenue in Bronx. This is just one of many free events the library will host every day throughout February. See the event listing and see the library's full calendar.
- Friday, February 10, 2017: The Mott Haven Library invites families of children between the ages of 3 and 8 to free Playaway Launchpad playtime at 3:30 p.m. The Playaway Launchpad is a pre-loaded learning tablet that encourages early literacy. Playtime will be held throughout February and March on some Fridays and Saturdays. The library is located at 321 E. 140th Street in Bronx. For more information, see the flie here.
- Wednesday, February 15, 2017: The Westchester Square Library will host a puppet-making workshop for teens and tweens at 3:30 p.m. All materials will be provided for this free, hands-on workshop. The library is located at 2521 Glebe Avenue in Bronx. See the flier here.
- Wednesday, February 15, 2017: Bronxworks Betances Community Center invites high school students to a free college admissions workshop at 6:30 p.m. The community center is located at 547 E. 146th Street in Bronx. Learn how to research schools, fill out applications, search for scholarships and more. See the flier here.
- Thursday, February 16, 2017: Bronx Borough President Ruben Diaz Jr. invites you to a Dominican Heritage Month celebration from 10:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at 120 E. 149th Street in Bronx. See the flier here.
- Saturday, February 18, 2017, and Saturday, February 25, 2017: There will be a free ACT practice test on February 18, 2017 and a free SAT practice test on February 25, 2017 at the Westchester Square Library, 2521 Glebe Avenue in Bronx. Both tests will run from 11:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. To register, please call 718-863-0436. See the flier here.
- Friday, March 31, 2017: Save the date for a UFT college fair from 10:00 a.m. to 2:00 p.m. at 2500 Halsey Street in Bronx. This free event will feature representatives from the admissions offices of local colleges