Street Fighter 2 still Capcom's best seller
Alongside its business projections for the current financial year, Capcom yesterday released updates sales charts for its best-selling games and franchises.
The publisher's 1992 Super Nintendo adaptation of Street Fighter II retained its title as the single best-selling Capcom single product of all time with 6.3 million copies sold, but recent releases have been carving out their own places on the charts.
Released earlier this year, Devil May Cry 4 has already reached seventh on the sales charts with 2.3 million sold worldwide. Of 2007's releases, only three broke the million mark: Monster Hunter Freedom 2 for the PlayStation Portable (2.15 million), Resident Evil 4: Wii Edition (1.25 million), and Resident Evil: The Umbrella Chronicles (1.05 million).
As for the company's biggest franchises, Resident Evil has sold the most games with a total of 34.5 million. Following that are Mega Man and Street Fighter, with sales of 28 million and 25 million, respectively. Interestingly, while Resident Evil and Street Fighter both have multiple games in the company's top five best-selling list--Resident Evil with three games and Street Fighter with two--the highest placing Mega Man game is Mega Man 2, ranked 21 on the publisher's list with 1.51 million sold.
The Blue Bomber made up for his dearth of massive hits with sheer quantity. To date, Capcom has produced 120 Mega Man titles, more than twice the amount of any other franchise. Street Fighter is the next most prolific Capcom title with 59 releases, followed by Resident Evil's 50 games.
10 best-selling Capcom games of all time
- Street Fighter II--Super Nintendo--6.3 million
- Resident Evil 2--PlayStation--4.96 million
- Street Fighter II Turbo--Super Nintendo--4.1 million
- Resident Evil 3 Nemesis--PlayStation--3.5 million
- Resident Evil--PlayStation--2.75 million
- Dino Crisis--PlayStation--2.4 million
- Devil May Cry 4--PlayStation 3, Xbox 360--2.3 million
- Devil May Cry--PlayStation 2--2.16 million
- Monster Hunter Freedom 2--PlayStation Portable--2.15 million
- Onimusha: Warlords--PlayStation 2--2.02 million